A House includes students of different grade levels, teachers, and staff from Boulware. Each house has a unique identity and meaning. The purpose of a house system is to create a more intimate family unit within our larger Boulware family. Being a part of a house creates opportunities for students, across grade levels, to interact, support, and show pride in their house.
Houses participate in challenges or activities that require working together to reach a common goal. Houses can earn points for reaching these common goals.
Although houses compete to see who can earn the most points, this competition will be fueled by positive, supportive encouragement for all students, rather than “trash talking” or not wishing others well.
Students, teachers, and staff are inducted into houses through an elaborate ceremony at the beginning of the year. Once in a house, it’s your house for life.
Each of the four houses at Boulware has a meaningful name and motto.
Johto (Finnish for Leader)
• Color: red
• Meaning/character trait: Leader/mentor/visionary
• 4R connection: Role Model
• Color: Red
• Body metaphor: Eyes
• Spirit Animal: Dragonfly (can see 360 degrees, great vision, dragon in the
• Representative: Nelson Mandela
• “The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers
• Defintion: person or thing that leads; head, chief, director; carrier;
• Motto: acta non verba “actions, not words”
Istina (Croatian for Truth)
• Color: green
• Meaning/character trait: Trust/duty/truth/honesty
• 4R connection: Responsibility
• Color: Green
• Body metaphor: Mouth
• Spirit Animal: Dolphin (advanced brains, smart, communicators)
• Representative: Abraham Lincoln
• The future president was first called “Honest Abe” while working as a young store clerk in New Salem, Ill. According to one story, whenever he realized he shortchanged a customer a few pennies, he would close the shop and deliver the correct change regardless of how far he had to walk.
• Definition: duty, obligation; accountability, liability; thing which a person is
requested to do as part of a job or a role or as a legal obligation
• Motto: lux et veritas “light and truth”
Eazm (Arabic for Determination)
• Color: orange
• Meaning/character trait: Grit/perseverance/courage
• 4R connection: Reach for the Stars
• Body metaphor: Legs and arms
• Spirit Animal: Turtle (slow and steady wins the race)
• Representative: Michael Jordan
• “I have missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I have lost almost 300 games.
On 26 occasions I have been entrusted to take the game winning shot, and I
missed. I have failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I
• Definition: Continue striving in spite of discouragements
• Motto: ad astra per alia porci “to the stars on the wings of a pig” (A favorite saying of John Steinbeck. A professor told him that he would be an author when pigs flew. Every book he wrote is printed with this insignia.)
Amor (Latin for Love)
• Color: Purple
• Meaning/Character Trait: Love/Respect/Understanding
• 4R connection: Respect
• Color: Purple
• Body metaphor: Heart
• Spirit animal: Elephant (gentle, kind)
• Representative: Mother Theresa
• “Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.”
• Definition: Respect is treating people as they should be treated. Specifically,
respect is indicative of compassion and consideration of others, which includes a sensitivity to and regard for the feelings and needs of others and an awareness of the effect of one’s own behavior on them.
• Motto: amor vincit omnia “love conquers all”
Boulware Springs Charter School
A Tuition-free, Top-rated Elementary School
1303 NE 23rd Avenue
Gainesville, Florida 32609
© Copyright 2022, Boulware Springs Charter School, All Rights Reserved.